Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Big Re-Tilling

It's been a long time since I've actually done the things I spent years convincing others to do. While I was working long hours spreading the word about Mission Year and the importance of continually deepening your faith, being a good neighbor, putting those you live with ahead of yourself, fighting against injustice, and allowing others to see Christ in you - I failed to intentionally live out these ideals in my day-to-day life.


Through the years I've seemed to let my excuses get the better of me, and in many ways, get the better of my faith. I was either a newlywed (trying to learn how to be married), uncomfortably pregnant, new to the neighborhood, a new mom, too busy with work, uncomfortable with other's approaches to ministry, responsible for keeping my toddler on a schedule, pregnant again, or the mother of a newborn (again).


The time I spent coming up with (and whole-heartedly believing in) these excuses has successfully distanced me from the things I truly believe God calls us to and in turn as frayed my believe that God is bigger than any excuse I can come up with and therefore has continually called my bluff.


So here I am, back from a wonderfully enjoyable 2 week vacation, which included the shedding of my excuses. It is time for an overhaul - a re-tilling of the ground. For the last few years I have committed to being comfortable and now it's time to commit to some things that are a bit more important than being comfortable.

This should be really good......challenging but good.

1 comment:

  1. Truly convicting Sarah. I find a lot of myself in the excuses you listed. Now how do I put my desire to do more into action? That's where I find myself

    ReplyDelete